Blog Post 4- After watching The True Cost and reading Overdressed I found myself contemplating...


After watching The True Cost and reading Overdressed I found myself contemplating every single item I ever remember purchasing and trying to determine if I truly needed it. I felt very guilty for my past ignorance but I also found myself getting anxious and burning with a desire to do something about all these issues. I guess this is why I’ve chosen socially responsible business practices as my concentration and it’s why I want to work towards improving the fashion industry. I was primarily knowledgeable about a lot of the information conveyed in Overdressed and The True Cost but the statistics and imagery are still impactful nonetheless.

I think that our current rate of consumption is definitely a result of fashion marketing and the capitalistic economic model that dictates our society. The capitalistic economic model is based on infinite growth in a world with clearly defined limits and finite resources. This is clearly unsustainable and has forced clothing to become disposable and low-quality. This further perpetuates consumerism and actually facilitates financial instability as people continuously spend their money on low cost items. Even though clothing is cheaper now, people spend more annually on various items of clothing instead of building a wardrobe over the course of time with quality pieces.

Currently, we are still headed in the wrong direction—but it is possible to change. Every day I see more platforms that make new brands offering more accessible and publicized. These brands offer items that are more appropriately priced based on inputs such as materials and labor. With the increase in these new brands, large corporations are facing competition. They are feeling challenged for keeping their market share because more consumers are demanding products that are ethically made from ethically operating companies.

I think the most important factor in spreading the urgency of the need for change lies in spreading information in an easily digestible manner. A lot of people don’t want to feel guilty for their actions so they don’t want to look into the truth about the fashion industry. They avoid articles, documentaries, and books. People are often reluctant to change and get overwhelmed when they find out that the way they live and exist needs to change. They may feel helpless and not know where to start. I am a firm believer that education about these topics and the like needs to start at a young age. If this type of information is included in school systems, then people will have the resources to make responsible choices from the start.

Comments

  1. This was an incredible, truthful break down of the consumerism issue in America. I loved that you wrote, "The capitalistic economic model is based on infinite growth in a world with clearly defined limits and finite resources." because you are getting to the core of the consumption problem and why it is a problem in the first place. We simply cannot sustain the amount we produce and consume. I also I loved your solution to this problem by making this knowledge accessible for everyone and even making it required to learn about. Lastly, I really liked your correlation between new brands and large companies because companies are struggling to compete against one another therefore making their products more desirable by lowering the prices which comes at an extreme, unethical cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline- well done.... You sum up the predicament well in this sentence: "Even though clothing is cheaper now, people spend more annually on various items of clothing instead of building a wardrobe over the course of time with quality pieces." You are right- we are getting more for less- who wants to walk away from that? Your notion of education is a fabulous idea! How do you propose this education can get started - in an across-the-board way at the elementary grades? Let us know... how do we get there! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,

    Your post is great! I felt the same way after reading the novel and watching the movie. It really influenced to me to make a change and help solve the issue. I think consumers are driven by the price of the clothing rather then the quality and the brand. I agree, I think if more people were aware of the issues, more consumers would have the urge to make a difference. Overall, great post! Your post flowed so nicely and was powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written analysis of the psychological elements of people and corporations with consumerism and production. Loved the idea of emphasizing sustainability in classrooms so people will have the resources to make change. You mention capitalism and how it dictates our society, but is there a solution that won't affect capitalism but will be good for the environment?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!