48 hour Activity Reflection: Caroline Giraldo


I have to say, my greatest emissions stem from my commute and use of electricity in addition to anything related to my tasks at work. In regards to physical garbage, there are areas where I can reduce more like my cosmetics routine. To tie this assignment with fashion, I’d like to share that I have drastically altered my clothing consumption habits over the course of the past four years. This is due to a few things: I stopped working retail, I learned about the impact of fast-fashion, and I decided to embrace minimalism as much as possible. I can still limit my spending habits more, but I have also made a lot of progress compared to my habits as a freshman. I now approach fashion as a long-term investment as opposed to “an outfit for X event.”

Commute & Electricity:

My commute entails four different modes of carbon-emitting transportation twice a day five times a week. While I don’t have much control over this right now, I’d like to see innovative developments in NYC to address this. Technology exists to make the public transportation systems more eco-friendly—it just requires dedication and commitment on behalf of city officials. In regards to electricity, I find that I am always charging my phone or laptop because I need them both for a full work day and then for any school work I can squeeze in throughout the day or in the late evening before going to bed. I try to monitor what I leave plugged in and the lights that I use, but this is increasingly difficult when it gets dark by five!

Work-related Tasks & Operations:

When I state anything related to tasks at work, I am referring to my lack of control over influential decision making. For example, if I am given a task that requires I use a lot of paper—or worse, non-recyclable sticky labels, then I cannot do much to change the way it’s done. It’s not my call. I do my best to recycle what I can and to offer alternatives when I know of any, but there are areas of waste and inefficiency that I believe can be addressed presently. I have recently accepted a full-time position at my co-op and part of my responsibilities will include researching and creating sustainability proposals. In this way, I will be able to hopefully formalize some effective solutions to this problem in both offices.  

Food Consumption & Coffee:

In regards to my food consumption, I mainly cook and pack leftovers in a set of glass containers for the next day. When I do eat out, I recycle what I can and avoid unnecessary frills like straws, napkins, bags, utensils, and packaged sauces. I am typically conscious of my coffee purchases. Previously, I carried my reusable Contigo (great coffee cup everyone!) everywhere and would ask the shop to put my coffee in there instead of a disposable cup. However, about a month ago, I left this thermos at my friend’s house in Jersey! Since then, I’ve definitely seen an increase in my consumption and waste of disposable cups because I haven’t found the time to go see her or purchase another one. Although my 48 hour log does not reflect this habit (coincidentally), I do recognize that I frequently purchase up to two coffees a day depending on how much sleep I get the night before. If I can, I’ll recycle the lid and sleeve. Still, without my thermos, this is almost ten cups a week! I think about it every time I decide I need a cup of coffee and kick myself for forgetting my Contigo.

Change & Innovation:

            Something I’d love to see change as soon as possible is NYC’s public transportation and recycling/composting system. While we have just adopted recycling standards, I see that it is not well enforced yet. Even though I’ve seen many more recycling bins around the city in different stores and even in the office at work, there is still an excess of trash that is recyclable that makes it to the landfills or even just to the streets. The public disposal system is still insufficient for the traffic and waste generated by those who walk the streets of New York. Think of the amount of garbage you see on the streets every day or the number of overflowing trash cans on the corners of intersections. I would also extend these ideas to the fashion activities in New York. Consider for example the amount of plastic bags used a day per retail location. If New York implemented legislation on this, the number would drop drastically—whether as a result of a fee or an out-right ban. New York has the resources and competencies to transition from the model it has now to something more similar to that of Seattle. I think we are on the right track, we just need to keep pushing.

Comments

  1. Caroline,
    Terrific post and fabulously organized! In terms of your thoughts on NY’s transportation system and emissions… You are so right that “Technology exists to make the public transportation systems more eco-friendly” But I ask you…… Does it “…just requires dedication and commitment on behalf of city officials. “ Do you think advocating for change by the citizens (such as all of us) will get these NYC officials to work- perhaps a tad faster. How can YOU advocate for these changes?
    I am so very excited you you that you have a FT offer from this co-op, CONGRATULATIONS and BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!