48-Hour Journal Entry

Related image

Image Credit: laincubator.org

11/11/17-11/12/17 Journal of Activities

· I cooked meals for the day in the morning. Even though the chicken I purchased was free-range and organic it was wrapped in plastic. The rice, apples, and spinach also came in plastic bags. I used glass containers to pack all my meals, and always carry cutlery from home to avoid using plastic ones.
·    When I finished my workout at the gym, I put my used clothes in a small plastic bag. I bought a smoothie, and the cup and straw were plastic.
·   I purchased tea and it came in a disposable cup.
·   At work, I drank 7 water bottles. They were all plastic, but I did put them in the recycling bin.
·    Everything I wore for these 48 hours was 100% cotton; except my gym clothing.
· I purchased some fresh flowers and they were double-wrapped in plastic and paper.
· I went to yoga twice this weekend in a car (6 miles) and got home in a car (6 more miles). A total of 24 miles.
· I charged my phones and laptop daily.
· I showered 4 times (10-minute showers) and washed my hair twice. The shampoo and conditioner came in plastic bottles.
· I wrote in my journal (made from un-recycled paper).

Even though there aren’t many variables on my day-to-day, journaling for the past 48-hours made me aware of my daily consumption of plastic (despite my efforts to stay away from doing so, it is quite high). From a consumer’s perspective, I think that I can put forth more effort in reducing the use of plastic by not using any plastic bags for my fruits and vegetables, and instead of purchasing pre-packaged chicken, I could go to the butcher with glass containers. I could also avoid unnecessary water-waste by reducing the time I spend in the shower from 10 to 5 minutes.
In terms of influencing the supply-chain. I could initiate a petition and collect signatures to reduce the amount of plastic involved as part of the shopping experience. I would promote this at Parent Teacher Association meetings in the 6 local schools and daycares in the neighborhood, and go to my local university (Columbia University). Furthermore, I could speak to building managers for them to allow me to post the petition in the lobby of their building. These efforts would be followed by a written proposal to Wholefoods for a collaboration to implement these changes, and then a meeting with New York City’s mayor to present facts about how we as a city could start to transition into becoming a more sustainable city by changing some aspects of how we shop for food.

A second initiative to reduce the use of fuel and gas emission would be to start riding a City Bike to and from work (as well as to my yoga class). I believe that the volume of traffic in the city is a great contributor to the pollution of our air. I would also contact corporations with more than 5 employees to discuss starting a program where they compensate people for enrolling on yearly City Bike memberships, and using these as a means of transportation to get to work. Lastly, I would work with car insurance companies to offer a 35% discount to customers that travel under a specific amount of miles a year in their car.

I believe that the changes mentioned above in my day-to-day would be a starting point to make a change, but the key component of making an impact at a larger scale is for me to become a sustainability advocate within my own community.


Comments

  1. Mariel- Such good work on this post. From your reflections and suggestions that you make to your self regarding picking up chicken direct from the butcher and putting it in our own container to shortening your shower time and riding a citybike more!
    I am so impressed with your thoughts on petitioning for a reduction in plastic at Whole Foods, etc. I truly think your idea of starting in the neighborhood and spreading outward from there is fabulous! Keeping it local, where you are connected, is so meaningful … and then bringing it outward to the whole city is a very doable ____-year plan to make NYC a more sustainable city! Yahoo! Also- you have EXCELLENT thoughts on the citybike program and the car insurance reduction…. the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mariel,
    Love this post! I think it is extremely inspiring that you are taking the steps to bring awareness about sustainability in terms of plastic. I also mentioned in my post that I use a lot of plastic materials and am aiming to change that as well. Bringing this kind of awareness to others can eventually make the impact that is necessary to having a sustainable environment. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!