Blog Post 7 Kristin Gillman

Kristin Gillman
Blog Post 7


After recording my actions for 48 hours, I concluded I leave an imprint on the environment. Throughout the time period, I contributed to the environmental crisis by just my daily routine. Two things that stood out in my journal log, was transportation and the waste generating at my job. Within the 2 days, I left my house about 10 different times, all using a car to get to these places. Since, this journal was logged Saturday and Sunday, this didn’t take in account that I commute to school 4 days a week. Looking a broader time period, I was able to point out the excessive traveling that is a part of my daily routine. Another shocking finding was the waste that is generated at my job. I am a server at a restaurant, and throughout the shift I am constantly throwing plastic, paper, cardboard in the garbage rather than recycling it. As bad as this sounds my job does not have a recycling system and throughout my shift, there was many straw wrappers, napkins, plastic bottles that could’ve been recycled that wasn’t. I have never analyzed the waste throughout my routine each day and my findings surprised me.
Reflecting on this log, there are things in my routine that I would change. At work, I will persuade the management to get a recycling bin. Recycling would help reduce the pollution and the harmful effects those materials have on the environment. Also, during my free time I will be cautious of how many times I drive my car. When I am consistently going from one place to another, I am polluting the air by the emissions my car releases. Being more selective when deciding how many times I need to drive; will reduce the air pollution I am causing. There are also small things throughout my day that I would change to be kinder to the environment. For example, I won’t leave the water running while I am brushing my teeth, and I will take quicker showers, these will reduce the use of water which is a natural resource. Overall, when learning about the current issues of the fashion industry being the second most polluting industry, I analyzed that there are parts in my routine that needs to change as well.





Arian Ravaei Follow. (2015, May 05). Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Retrieved November 15, 2017, from https://www.slideshare.net/ArianRavaei/reduce-reuse-and-recycle-47802748


Comments

  1. Hi Kristin,
    Love your post! I think it's super unfortunate that your job doesn't have a recycling implementation. Maybe this can be an opportunity for you to discuss this with higher management? You can discuss your concern and interest of sustainability which can show that you care for the well-being of your work environment as well as the planet. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,
    Very good work on this reflection and especially great in identifying the two areas for the most-needed improvement: your transportation and the waste generated at your restaurant job.
    And wow- your thoughts about work and that you might try to persuade the management to get a recycling bin- now that is an action! Yahoo!
    Please keep me updated if you do try to do this and if it happens…. I am so excited for this possibility! Also nice thoughts on reducing your times you drive and water usage… but if you can do this one action at your restaurant- then that is truly an improvement that has a big impact.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!