Blog Post #7: Reflection

Blog Post #7: Reflection

Keeping track of what I am disposing on a daily basis hasn’t been an activity I would think that would made me realize so much about my imprint on earth. With this activity, I monitored what I’ve consumed and disposed for a 48-hour period. The results had lead me to really rationalize and prove that I need to make certain simple life changes to live more sustainably. I have already pondered on these thoughts of action, but this activity made me want to start immediately. On the other hand, I have noticed that I am sustainable in other ways as well.

Firstly, I wanted to address my use of plastic bottles that I am going to adjust. I find myself disposing 4-6 bottles a day which adds up to 125 bottles a month from myself alone. Seeing the numbers really opened my eyes to realize how much I am contributing to the plastic crisis that’s killing our oceans. I have thought about getting a swell bottle and switching to fountain and filtered water. Therefore, I will take action and not buy cases of bottled water. In terms of plastic, a lot of my other disposed items were some form of plastic. For example, a plastic salad bowl, a plastic cup, plastic forks/straws, shampoo bottle, packaging etc. which I always try my best to recycle these items and hope they are handled properly. On the other hand, I do have certain sustainable habits in my life. I usually always try to walk to my destination to avoid taking a train. Here, I save gas emissions verse the average New Yorker perhaps. If the destination is too far, of course I do take the occasional train or bus. But, I do always try to weigh out my options to be more sustainable.

While analyzing my good and bad sustainable habits, I do see the points for change and will try my best to execute them. I have ideas to start making more sustainable choices starting with my plastic consumption apart from the bottles. I can make changes such as opt for a more sustainable packaging on goods, reusable hot/cold bottles, less plastic usage, etc. I am taking initiative to change these habits into sustainable ones. At the same time, be an advocate to others who I know are consuming similarly. But, everything starts with you. I think this activity should be an exercise everyone should partake in to inspire them to work for a beautiful sustainable future. Not by one but hundreds of plastic bottles at a time.


Source: http://www.livinggreenwithbaby.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/marine-plastic-waste.jpg

Comments

  1. Nina- Good work on this journaling assignment. Very cool that you say you are surprised at your plastic usage. That’s an amazing start…. I am so impressed this inspired you to make a change- so cool that you used two days of journaling to in turn calculate a month of plastic bottle usage... and want to now change! Nice! This is the exact same exercise I used and counted my own plastic water bottles and also made changes- I have loved my Swell bottle ever since!
    You are right- in walking, instead of ubering, cabbing, etc - you are helping lessen the impacts!
    Now you write that you want to be an advocate to others who are consuming similarly- may I ask… how are you thinking of doing that? How will you be an advocate? WHat are your thoughts on that? Also, Nina, what are your thoughts on how your journaled day (and plastic consumption) can tie into the fashion industry and its practices? How can you use your experience and new knowledge to be an advocate to those in fashion who are similarly wasting/using giant amounts of plastic?
    Nice work and I love your last line! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina,

    I also ran into the problem of not recycling plastic. I noticed the amount of plastic bottles, whether it was water bottles, or shampoo and conditioner bottles, was alarming. I was not recycling any of the waste, now I realized the difference I can make. I agree, its very important to change habits that would better help the environment. Overall, great post!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!