Eclectic Chique at the Javits Center - Ejiro Ohwodo

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor lagos nigeria


On September 17, I attended the Coterie fashion tradeshow at the Javits Center in New York City. From the moment I walked in, I was sucked in the amazing world of fashion. Every booth was beautifully decorated; some were modest but yet eye-catching, others were extravagant with flowers, glitters and special lights. While walking past the booths in awe, I almost forgot why I went there. Well I actually didn’t, but in all honesty, I was tempted to forget about my assignment and just go shopping.

Of course, I attended the Coterie tradeshow for a different purpose. Because I follow a sustainability class at LIM College, a fashion business school located in Manhattan, I went to the event to find out how sustainable fashion brands are who say they are sustainable. I didn’t expect much in the beginning. I have been studying International Business in The Netherlands since 2016 and I have met countless companies, saying they were sustainable, but after a little research they would almost always turn out to be not as “green” as they claimed to be.

However, my view quickly changed when I met with Ms. Teni Majekodunmi, the CEO of Eclectic Chique. Her brand is based in Lagos, Nigeria and is mainly active online. She sells African inspired accessories such as hats, necklaces, laptop case, headbands, backpacks, but when I visited the booth at the tradeshow I also saw some dresses. She proudly told me that she designed some of the fabrics herself, showing me an artbook full of beautiful fabrics with vibrant colours and dynamic patterns which immediately reminded the viewer of Africa.

As our conversation progressed the topic of sustainability came up. A very interesting fact about the brand is that it only uses natural local materials for its items. Most of the resources are found in Nigeria, which promotes the local economy. I was happy to hear this because since I’m Nigerian myself, I know that a great number of Nigerians prefer to import fabrics – some even going as far as going to Europe or the USA to have their garments made as it is believed having it made there means a better quality. However, the techniques used by European and American companies to make those signature African fabrics are often the same as in Nigeria. Additionally, Nigeria has many highly skilled sewers who are able to make the same item as a European tailor for a lower price.

Furthermore, Eclectic Chique’s factory employs only local people; most of them being less fortunate. Majekodunmi explained that she wants them to teach them the craft to give them a better chance at in live by letting them earn their money in a fair way. Also, I think by giving them a goal, they get the chance to see what else is possible in life. Not only does being employed mean financial stability, but it also gives people self-respect and the chance to contribute to society. While people usually think of the environment and reducing pollution when hearing the word sustainability, I believe EC is a great example of being socially sustainable.

Nowadays, the effects of the way humans have been using the Earth for years to make money are becoming more and more visible. Especially the global fashion business, the second most polluting business, has obviously contributed to this. Many businesses in general are afraid to lose profit if they change their business model to a sustainable version. Some even think this is a trend. But brands like Eclectic Chique show that it is possible to be successful and make profit while still caring for the planet and the people.




Website: www.eclecticchique.com
Instagram: @eclecticchique
FaceBook: eclectic-chique
Twitter: @myechique


Eclectic Chique at the Javits Center, 2018

Comments

  1. Ejiro- I love the energy of your writing! And laughed when you almost went shopping instead! So fun! I am excited you learned so much from Ms. Majekodunmi during your visit with Eclectic Chique. Using local materials and sewers creates a local-based business and place-based businesses are so important when we consider sustainable practices. What a great post on Eclectic Chique! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you!