Journal Reflection in the Eyes of Sustainability by Anthony Nota

After documenting my days over a 48 hour period, I want to dive deeper into my
daily activities and just how much they impact our Earth. My footprint started with me
going to work on Friday. Since I am a creature of habit, I start most of my days the
same. I shower and get ready for my day, then hop on the subway only three stops
(thank god I have a quick commute) to my internship. Since I live in Manhattan, I do not
have to use a car to get wherever I need to go. The subway is actually a very
sustainable way to travel considering it holds many passengers which ultimately
eliminates the need for more cars on the road. Traveling by train releases much less
emissions in comparison to traveling by car.
When I get to my internship, I start my day by firing up my laptop and catching
up on all of my emails. Since I am in Public Relations, it is my responsibility to
coordinate deliveries to all stylists and editors based on which looks from the collection
they requested. We achieve this by using a messenger service to delivery all deliveries
within the 5 boroughs. A majority of the time, these messengers travel by bike or foot,
which is great for the environment. A vehicle is used for out of borough deliveries such
as Brooklyn or Queens. Since I take an hour lunch I usually go to Whole Foods and
(most of the time) will get a salad and small snack to eat. I try to steer away from eating
meat during lunch, and one main reason being to reduce my imprint on the
environment. Meat production is one of the leading causes of greenhouse gas
emissions and other particulate matter pollution in the atmosphere. By steering clear of
as much meat as possible, I hope to contribute less to the emission of greenhouse
gases. When I return to work int he afternoon I am responsible for making sure all
packages with requested looks that need to be shipped to Los Angeles, Milan, London,
and Paris are ready for Pickup by Fedex. Since the U.S. office shares a sample set with
our main headquarters in Milan, there is a lot of international shipping that takes place.
This is a really big contributor to emissions from air travel, especially when shipped
overnight to get to a destination by a deadline.
That night I had plans to travel to Pennsylvania via Amtrak train. This is also
another way to cut down on emissions while traveling, since a train can take many
passengers versus a car that can only carry a few passengers. Once my boyfriend and
I arrived in Pennsylvania, we ate dinner and spent some time with his family. Since we
stayed in and had a low-key evening, there was not much that was done that had a
huge impact on my footprint for the day after this.
The next morning we woke up and showered. I usually try to keep my shower
time to a minimum, however since it was so cold I found myself hanging out in the
warm water a little longer that morning. We went on our day, and at some point in the
afternoon decided to go shopping at the mall. We try to steer clear of fast fashion
stores, but sometimes can’t help ourselves to a great Zara find based on style and
price. My boyfriend then decided to clean out some of his old clothes that are stored at
his house and bring them to Platos Closet. Plato’s closet, in my opinion, is such a
sustainable business concept. For those who aren’t familiar, they are a store that buys
gently used clothing and re-sells them. This is such a better alternative to throwing
clothes away, or letting them collect dust in a closet.
The rest of the night was pretty low-key and not substantial, however I am glad I
was able to take the time and analyze just how my daily actions impact the earth. I
think I have some great habits such as using mass transit to get places, but also could
work on some areas such as shorter showers, and shopping less at fast fashion stores.
It was nice to see that my boyfriend somewhat offset his new purchases with selling his
old clothing to Plato’s closet. I attempted to have a good balance of fast-fashion and
non fast-fashion purchases during our trip to the mall.


Comments